Have you ever sat at your desk or workspace, and your mind goes blank when inspiration fails you? Were you in the middle of doing an intense reading and suddenly the pages were Greek? Have you ever thought to yourself, inspiration where are you?
In the daily chores and tasks of life, it can be difficult to find inspiration. The surprising thing about it is that it is all around you. Finding inspiration when it fails you is about changing your perspective, both internally and externally.
No matter where you are, no matter what you are doing, it is near. Here are 25 tips to find it again when inspiration fails you.
When Inspiration Fails You
- See the world through your dog or cat’s eyes. Yes, get on your knees and see the world from their perspective!
- Look at common objects through the eyes of a small child.
- Try a different kind of exercise, or add a new route or routine to your current one. If you aren’t exercising, then start.
- Take a moment and look up at the sky.
- Dance to your favorite song. You don’t have to be good!
- Take a break from work and walk around for 10 minutes.
- Take a few minutes to flip through old writings, artwork, crafts or hobbies.
- Meditate for 10 minutes.
- Look at a common object that you see every day…and really look at it. What do you see?
- Watch the breeze move the leaves and limbs of a tree.
- Find some new recipes to try for your meals this week…and actually cook with them!
- Try a food you have never eaten before.
- Ask your friends and family who and what inspires them.
- Name something you have wanted to do but have not tried. Go do it.
- Call up an old friend, or better yet, meet them in person, and catch up. (Social media and email do not count.)
- Read a book for fun by an author you’ve never read.
- Take a day off every week from being online and experience the real world.
- Color in a coloring book.
- Let go of your perfectionism. If you are sloppy, tighten up a bit.
- Toss out what you have done so far, and start over with a fresh mind and perspective.
- Give yourself permission to fail. If you failed, you took a chance.
- Ask questions. Let yourself be the dumbest person in the room.
- Learn a new skill. It could be riding a bike, swimming, building a website, writing a blog, knitting, carpentry…whatever you have wanted to try, make it happen.
- Open yourself to The Divine. All Creation is His/the Universe and He will send inspiration to you.
- Love yourself. You are a gift from God, you have the right to exist, and all you need to Create is within you.
You don’t have to stand on the peak of a mountain to be inspired.
Inspiration Is Simple
All you have to do is look around you, and see what is right in front of you, near you, and within you. So the next time you think inspiration fails you when you need it most, know that it surrounds you. Yes, like The Force.
Think about how much effort went into designing your coffee cup or pen!
I just find myself happy with the simple things. Appreciating the blessings God gave me. —DMX
The list above is but a small example of what you can do when inspiration fails you. The number one thing is to relax and not worry. Sometimes, ideas come when they come. Great ideas need to percolate in your mind before they are born.
Don’t Think “Inspiration Where are You?” Instead, Relax
Inspiration, creativity, and ideas cannot be forced, they have to be born. The next time you think, inspiration where are you? relax. The ideas will come. So will the creative output you desire. Give it time, and use the proven strategies above to bring your inspiration to fruition.
I am an expert in the theory and practice of digital stewardship, including digital preservation and curation. I have 20+ years of experience with information and data systems in business, research, and academia.
*I never had a chance; it was only a dream. 🙂